Smoke Free Housing
Protect your family and loved ones from the health risks of secondhand smoke.
Take the Smoke-Free Home Pledge today! By taking this pledge, you are committing to keep your home smoke-free and making your family and home healthier by removing secondhand smoke.
April Hughes, Tobacco Prevention Coordinator
Email: [email protected]
Lead Poisoning Prevention
The Augusta/Gardiner area is 1 of the 5 high risk areas in the state for childhood lead poisoning.
- The most common cause is dust from lead paint.
- Houses or apartments built before 1950 often have lead paint, as well as some built before 1978.
- Even low levels of lead may cause serious injury to children’s rapidly developing brains.
- Young children up to age 6, but mainly children under age 3, are most at risk.
This program provides information about how to prevent lead poisoning in the Augusta/Gardiner area and is guided by an Advisory Council.
Patricia Buck Welton: DFC Coordinator
Email: [email protected]
Office: (207) 588-5345
Maine State Housing Authority (http://mainehousing.org/programs-services/HomeImprovement/homeimprovementdetail/LeadHazardControl) has information on loans and grants for lead safety improvements.
Childhood Lead Poisoning
- Providers: Get changes to pediatric blood lead testing recommendations.
- Parents, homeowners, landlords, and tenants: Get lead poisoning prevention info.
- Old home? Young kids? Order a lead dust test kit to find out if your home could be putting your child at risk for lead poisoning.
LeadSmart Training – Scholarships Available
This is an 8-hour course covering proper procedures when dealing with lead-based paint in Renovation, Repair and Painting (RRP) projects. This is a federally mandated certification that individuals must have if performing work on pre-1978 housing or child-occupied facilities.
Payment must be made at time of reservation in order to save your seat. Our classes are kept small and we can not allow “at door” walk ins. For class information or to pay by phone, please call 508-731-6054. Each attendee must be registered individually, indicating the name, address and email of the person taking the course. For multiple registrations, feel free to call our office to assist you. Please note that your email address will not be shared with anyone.
You will receive from our office confirmation of your registration along with class location, time and other specifics in your email within one (1) business day. Your payment receipt will be in your email within minutes from your submission.
Classes run from 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Upcoming Class Dates:
- August 5, 2019
- September 30, 2019
- October 28, 2019
- December 2, 2019